School and public health officials in southern Oregon say an elementary school near Medford will be closed for two days for cleaning after a teacher's aide died of complications from Group A strep bacteria.
The bacteria commonly causes strep throat.
The Medford Mail Tribune reports (http://is.gd/eCWyx3) that the Sams Valley Elementary closure started Wednesday.
On its website, the school district said the move came after consultation with Jackson County Public Health's Dr. Jim Shames. The district says "public health is not at risk."
The county health department says the unidentified woman died Tuesday. Public Health Division Manager Jackson Baures called the case "an unusual complication that resulted from a common illness."
There have been no reports of sick students. The district says an immediate family member of the woman was hospitalized but released Wednesday. Two elementary school staff members also fell ill, although district officials say there is no confirmed connection to the woman who died.